Mike Gao is a true nerd and as such he creates really nerdy stuff like all kinds of music related iPhone and iPad apps. After his Vocal Beater app, which lets you beatbox into your phone and have a Midi file sent to your E-Mail inbox, Migamo (Mike Gao Mobile) now released the Polyplayground app, designed for improvising and composing music through shapes and colors (Grab it on iTunes).
Some facts about the app:
- MIDI input/output to control other iPad apps or external synth
- View what yourself and others are playing via MIDI
- Memorize a few Tetris shapes and begin playing chords in any key
- Learn melodies and chords in one key and play them in others with ease
- Use colors to remember scales and find chord inversions
- Helps you understand music theory through colors and shapes
- Configure notes in many ways
- Polyphonic pitch bend
- Tilt sensor sends MIDI CC
- Control other iPad apps through Virtual MIDI
- Split the octave into more than 12 notes for microtonal music
- Send MIDI/OSC to app to visualize jam partners or your previous layers and never be lost
You can win one of five exclusive download codes for this app. Just send an E-Mail with the header “Polyplayground” to email@example.com !
See a short video of Mike improvising with his app here: